Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kolena Gaza (we are all Gaza)

This slogan (Kolena Gaza) has popped up all over facebook, the news, the streets, the internet. I think its a pretty good one honestly, reminding us that these are human beings who are being killed, their lives being ruined, people just like us but extremely unfortunate, living in fear and squalor and deprivation and injustice under normal conditions and now, its unimaginable, that is if they aren't one of the over 1000 Palestinians who are already dead.

I am actually surprised how normal life has been here, despite this crisis. I expected perhaps more angry glares instead of friendly smiles and welcomes, especially when it comes out that I'm American (therefore my tax dollars are funding the bombs falling on Gaza, and I'm doing nothing to stop it). However, while I have been looking for hostile reactions, I really haven't found them, or any real differences in the rhythym of life here.

However, here are some things I've seen / heard.

Taxi Driver #1, driving me and my family to my apartment (day 2 of attacks): "Did you hear about Gaza?"
Me: "O ya I did hear"
TD1: "this is very bad."
Me: "Worse than before, right?"
TD1: "yes. Why is America doing this?"
Me: "I don't know, but we have a new president soon, maybe it will be better."
(he seems unconvinced)


Taxi Driver #2 (my favorite, driving De and I to dinner): "Where are you from?"
Me: "I'm from America, she's Canadian."
(long silence)
TD2: "Everyone in the world hates America right now."
Me: Hmm, ya, because of Gaza?"
TD2: "yes."
Me: "and you do also?"
TD2: "for sure."
De: "what's your opinion on Hamas?"
TD2: "It doesn't matter about Hamas, it matters that any people are dead. For example, if you have children, and they do something bad, you don't kill them. Do you understand?"
De and me: "yes I understand." (while really thinking this is sort of a weird analogy for the situation)
TD2: "For example if I marry you, and then you do something bad, I wouldn't kill you. I shouldn't do that. I would raise my voice maybe, but not kill you...."
Me: "hmmm ok, I understand."
TD2: "In sickness and in strength, hot and cold. I shouldn't kill you."
(I think on these odd analogies and wonder, is he saying that Israel is the parent and the husband? Or America, or Egypt, the army? or all humanity? Do these analogies extend to all human interactions which should not end in murder? Was my Arabic comprehension just completely off? Interesting...)

Me: What do you think of Gaza?
My friend A: "I don't care. Palestinians here in Egypt, they don't care about Gaza, so I don't care."
Me: "What, Palestinians don't care?"
A: "No, they don't care about Gaza."
Me: "But they are people, lots of people dying, they don't care?
A: "Oh but I care."
Me: "Really?"
A: "no not really. And they keep asking why Egypt doesn't make a war with Israel." (shakes his head)
Me: Ok

Article I read at work from an Egyptian newspaper summarizing the opinions of one Sheik:

If Israel heard the shouts of the Egyptian people at an Ehely (the most popular Egyptian club team) football match, they would leave Palestine. Palestine will always be occupied as long as football exists in Egypt because people care more about football than their suffering brothers and sisters in Palestine.

We drive past hundreds of people spilling out of the Medical Union building on the main street by our house, surrounded by 4 rows of riot police. (This same Medical Union apparently is heavily tied to the Muslim Brotherhood and sympathetic to Hamas. They have recently held many meetings about Gaza, plastered the main street with approximately 50 feet of giant blown up pictures of bloody, crying men, women and children and metro cars with posters about Gaza and collected aid donations to send there.)
Taxi Driver #3: "That's because of Gaza"
J: "There were people in the street before"
TD3: "Ya but there aren't now."
Me: "Because the police are everywhere."
TD3: "Because of the government, if you say anything, they will take you."


News I heard from my roommate: Progress is being made in negotiating a ceasefire between Hamas and Israel here in Cairo. As my roommate said, "YA Egypt!!"

No comments: