Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Why I have the best life ever

Ok this is why my living situation is the most fortunate I could have right now

1. I live in Egypt, which I love
2. I'm learning what I want to learn while paying nothing and not having to go to class
- I'm learning Arabic (word of the day from my co-worker is saqif = ridiculous, ex: inta saqif = you are ridiculous)
- I'm learning about culture (saqafa)
- I'm reading whatever books I want (kierkegaard at the moment) under no compulsion
- I'm learning how to cook and clean and keep house from a very patient house full of women (stuffed and spiced eggplant, fried and mashed potatoes)
- I'm learning about myself and what I am capable of
- I'm learning about politics and social issues in Egypt and the Middle East
- I'm learning how to teach, and more about English grammar than I learned in 12 years of school
3. I'm working at a job that requires creativity and sociability and thinking, but not in excess and only for 4-6 hours a day, with the coolest, most laid back students and coworkers ever and no boss
4. I'm living with two other girls plus an entire family of women who are all amazingly caring, smart, and patient with me
5. I have a whole year ahead of me, which is not a ridiculously undoable time, but time enough to be excited about and get involved in it.

Ok here are some highlights from the last few days:

- playing a modified version of never have I ever in order to practice the past participle question construction in my classes. Quite amusing.
- being called out of class by the administrators at my school to show me that they were talking to my brother, in california, on skype, on my computer, and that he was very beautiful
-scraping the guts out of eggplants and taking down laundry from the balcony with my 16 year old new sister
- taking pictures with my two baby sisters and a larger than life mural of Jesus in our family's apartment

No comments: