Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Kirsten Dance and other ridiculousness in Egypt

I'm settling into a routine of teaching and hanging out with my family here. I'm starting to be able to have somewhat real conversations in arabic (with a few english words thrown in and really dumbed down). For example the other day we talked about welfare in America in very superficial terms, and today I talked with my sister Sarah about the possibility that her school will hold her back just because the high school is too full and my other sister about the crappy husbands she's had. So unfair all around!

My students are awesome and I love working probably the most out of my day. I get really into the explanations of words and none of my students are surly, all Egyptians are joking all the time (which makes class always fun) as my coworker said to my mother, after telling her George Bush was a very intelligent man and he wanted to marry me. Haha, my poor mom.

We signed a nine month lease for an apartment in the garden city area of cairo

for those of you who know the Kirsten dance....

It was quite the success in Egypt. My sisters here after insisting that I dance (of course they're all professional level belly dancers, as is Alissa my roommate) were given the major privilege of the Kirsten dance. I informed them that I know this only. They told me I had to move my hips, and stop with the hand motions. They held my hands down so that the Kirsten dance was impossible, which resulted in my looking like a penguin. My sisters here were basically doubled over and crying with laughter and now "airifa keda bas" ("I know this only") while mimicing the Kirsten dance is a running joke every time they see me. Haha.

Ok I only have internet at work so I'm there now and I'm teaching in about five minutes so I have to look up some words.
maasalaama

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LMAO!!!!! I cant believe u introduced egypt to the kirsty dance...poor people! maybe they can teach u some new moves.