Friday, November 14, 2008

My First Arabic Poem

An Arabic Haiku --

Dedicated to watching the sun sinking over the water, sitting on a bench overlooking the Nile on a fall afternoon --

Il shams agouza khadra
heyya boosy min ilshagara
aynha maful abadan

Translation:

The sun a yellow old woman
she looks at me from the tree
her eyes are closed never

Approximately third grade level haiku (and probably even incorrect arabic), but I am extremely overly proud of this my first forey into arabic literature. Yet another way that my extreme distate for traditional educational methods has led to some creative deviations.

Internal monologue:

Procrastinator Kirsten - but I don't want to study!
Motivator Kirsten - But you want to learn Arabic, you can't learn without even trying.
Procrastinator Kirsten - O yes I can, eventually, and besides I'm finished with school, and its a beautiful day.
Motivator Kirsten - Yes its a beautiful day, perfect for studying.
Procrastinator Kirsten - I want to write a poem about it instead of studying, and there are too many words to study I'l forget them all anyway.
Motivator Kirsten - Ok fine, write a poem in Arabic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool poem but you say khadra which means green. If you meant to say yellow you should say/write 'safra' صفرا.
kewl, glad your learning the language. good luck